Birth Doula Services
BIRTH DOULA SERVICES
We provide sliding-scale birth doula services, to any low-income and Latino women. An empowering birth experience leads to a much greater chance of creating a healthier environment for the baby, ultimately growing stronger families and communities. These services will be available on a sliding scale fee, or in some cases free of charge, in Western North Carolina.
What can you expect from a Doula?
Our goal is to help you feel prepared for your life as new parents and leave you with the peace-of-mind that you are capable and empowered.
We are committed to:
- To develop a relationship in which the mother and partner feels free to ask questions, express her fears and concerns, and take an active role in creating a birth plan.
- To provide emotional, physical, and educational support to the expectant family,
- To help the mother to have a safe, memorable, and empowering birthing experience.
- To be available in order to respond to her questions or concerns about
- To help the mother to understand the procedures and possible complications in late pregnancy or delivery.
- To act as an advocate for the mother, encouraging and helping her fulfill specific desires she might have for her birth.
- To be in constant and close proximity to the mother. They have the ability to provide comfort with pain-relief techniques including breathing techniques, relaxation techniques, massage, and laboring positions.
- To help the mother experience a positive and safe birth, whether an un-medicated or a cesarean birth
- After the birth, we will spend time helping mothers begin the breastfeeding process and encouraging bonding between the new baby and other family members.
Services Not Provided by a Doula
- Provide, diagnose, interpret, treat, administer or perform anything clinical or medical. In this regard, a Doula does not attend intentionally unassisted births.
- Make decisions or speak for the birthing individual or stand in the way of other members of the individual team.
- Guarantee a specific outcome. We cannot promise everything will go the way the birthing individual planned.
For more information see DONA’s Standards of Practice.
Gentle Mothering aims to improve perinatal outcomes in WNC through our services, community education and Birth Justice advocacy. Since doulas can improve maternal health outcomes, we believe every woman who wants a doula deserves a doula, regardless of ability to pay. Contact us to find out more about our payment options:
• Payment Plans
• Sliding-Scale Fees
• One-to-One Program: free doula services to qualifying low-income families
What is a “sliding-scale”? Sliding-scale pricing allows those who can pay the full price of doula services to do so, which allows us to offer our support to families at lower prices, when necessary, as determined by their income. Sliding-scale can also be combined with payment plans.